Yield: 16 normal size cupcakes
- 3 big egg yolks
- 75g of butter, soft at room temperature
- 25g Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 80ml fresh milk
- 60g plain flour
- 30g cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-egg whites
- 110g light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Method: 1. Preheat oven at 160°c, traditional (I.e. OFF fan mode) Meringue: using electric mixer, beat egg whites till bubbly. Add cream of tartar, beat till foamy in appearance but underneath is still runny. Add in 1/3 of sugar, whisk in high speed for about 10 seconds, add second 1/3′ high speed 10 seconds, then add in last 1/3. Whisk until stiff peak. Set aside.
2. Without washing the cake mixer, move onto beating egg yolks until pale yellow using another bowl.
3. Dissolve cocoa powder into milk. Mix into egg yolk till incorporated. Then mix in butter until incorporated.
4. Mix in sieved flour & baking powder until well-comporated (no more specks of white flour nor lumps in the mixture).
5. Check the meringue. If it has lost some of its stiffness, manually whisk using a clean whisk until it regains stiff peaks state.
6. Using a spatula, transfer 1/3 of meringue into egg yolk batter & mix in at low speed. When the mixture is smooth, transfer the rest of the meringue (second 1/3 and then last 1/3) and fold them in. Ensure that the cake batter is consistent (color and texture) throughout without any specks of white meringue / darker brown floating around or stuck at the bottom.
7. Line muffin tray with cupcake wrappers. Scope and fill each cups to 3/4 full. Bake in middle shelf at 160°c for 16 minutes.