A basic vinegared Japanese rice recipe for use of making sushi and onigiri.
Yield: serves 3-4 pax.
- 2 cups of uncooked japonica rice, cook in accordance to instruction on packaging (typically 1 cup rice to 1 cup water / 1 cup + 1 tablespoon water, soaked for 20 minutes before cooking)
- 4 tablespoon of Japanese rice vinegar (available in Japanese food section of supermarkets)
- 2 & half tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- While rice is cooking, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar & salt dissolve completely. Immediately remove from stove.
- Once rice is cook, transfer steaming hot rice into a large bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over rice and using a rice scope / spatula, mix vinegar evenly into rice. Do not worry if rice looks too wet; it will dry up after mixing for some time. Ensure to break down any clumps of rice so that vinegar mixture is evenly absorbed by all the rice. Vinegared rice is ready for use!
- For those who fret over having to buy one whole packet of japonica rice just to attempt making sushi / onigiri once, worry not. Japonica rice make wonderfully smooth porridge / congee too!
Source: adapted from Japanese Home Cooking with Master Chef Murata by Yoshihiro Murata.