This is a refreshing cold vegetable dish that works well as a appetizer or a side dish.
- 1 packet of baby spinach, stems remove and discard
- 1 teaspoon of roasted white sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 2 & 1/2 teaspoons of light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Japanese rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- With the exception of sesame seeds and sesame oil, add all other seasonings in a small saucepan. Over medium-low heat, keep stirring until sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, pour sauce in a small bowl. Add in sesame oil. Set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add salt into it. Once boiled, add all washed baby spinach leaves. Stir to ensure all vegetables submerged in the water. Let it blanch for a minute. Meanwhile, quickly add 3 cups of water in a big bowl. Add ice cubes.
- Placing a colander in a sink. Pour the pot of blanched spinach in boiling water into it. Drain and pat out the hot water. Transfer spinach in the bowl of iced water. Stir to ensure all vegetables is submerged. After 30 seconds, pour entire content into colander (placed in sink) again. Scoop out all the ice cubes, if any. Using paper kitchen towels, pat vegetables until relatively dry.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Pour sauce over spinach. Add sesame seeds. Toss spinach until sauce and sesame seeds are well-mixed. Serve immediately or store in fridge until it is time to serve.