(Adapted from Joy of baking)
Yield: 2 X 15cm chiffon tins
- 5 egg whites
- 100g sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 egg yolks
- 90g sugar
- 100ml vegetables oil
- 150ml coffee (2 teaspoons of espresso granule mixed in water and cooled to room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g cake flour
- 25g dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoons baking power
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven traditional mode at 180°c. Ensure there is top risk. And medium-bottom rack.
- Whisk egg whites at level 6 till bubbly. Add cream of tartar. Whisk another 10 seconds the. Gradually add sugar. Beat at high speed until almost stiff peak. (Yellow team will be quite runny so be careful not to turn this too stiff) Tranfer to another bowl.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar at level 6 for 5 minutes until volume increase to 3 times and appearance is light and creamy.
- In a medium bowl, hand whisk vanilla extract, oil and coffee together.
- In a larger bowl, combine dry team together.
- Add oil mixture gradually into yolk batter while still beating. Ensure well-mixed.
- Sift in dry team into yellow team. Mix at level 1 for a few seconds then level 4 till combined. (30 seconds tops)
- Add 1/3 of meringue into yellow team. Fold into until smooth consistency the add into rest of the meringue. Fold gently and fluidly till smooth consistency.
- Beat mixing bowl against table top to remove bubbles. Gradually pour into chiffon tins. Beat against table tops and use chopsticks to stir intermittently to remove more big air bubbles trapped.
- Bake for 30-35minutes. At 20 minutes or when cake is rising till crack, cover top rack.