Yield: 2 x 15cm diameter chiffon tins
- 4 Egg yolks
- 60g Castor sugar
- 80ml Corn / sunflower Oil
- 80 ml Coconut milk
- 20 ml + 1 tbsp Pandan juice (3/4 cups of water with one whole bunch of pandas leaves, blended in food processor. Leave the juice to stand until the pandan gold is concentrated at the bottom. Pour away the above part or use it to make sweet soup and use the bottom part)
- 135g Cake flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2/3 tsp Pandan paste
- 6 Egg whites
- 60g Castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 170°c. Ensure oven has top most and bottom most rack.
- Ensuring mixing bowl is dry and clean, add egg whites. Mix at medium-low until foamy/bubbly. Add cream of tartar and mix at medium speed for 10 seconds. Gradually add in sugar while mixing at medium-high speed. Stiff peak will make it difficult to be folded into the cake mixture hence ensure to beat ONLY until slightly stiff. Totally using kitchen aid should be 2.5 minutes and definitely less than 3 minutes for 6 egg whites.
- Transfer meringue into another clean big bowl and set aside.
- Add egg yolks and sugar and beat at level 6 for 5 minutes. Mixture yielded should have tripled in volume and is light and creamy.
- While egg yolk is mixing, in a medium bowl, mixture and hand whisk together oil, pandan paste, vanilla extract, coconut milk and pandan juice. Also, measure out flour, salt and baking powder tether in a bowl.
- Add oil/coconut milk mixture into egg yolk mixture GRADUALLY while still whisking.
- Once well mixed, sift in flour mixture. Whisk at level 1 for first few seconds then turn up to level 4 until combined- 30 seconds tops.
- Add one-third of meringue into yellow team and using spatula, mix it until you have a light green batter which is easy to fold.
- Add in the remaining two-third meringue and fold in QUICKLY BUT GENTLY until there is no more white specks.
- Give the mixing bowl a good handful hard knocks against table top to get the big bubbles out. Then very gradually, pour in batter into the two cake tins. Then, against, give the tins several hard knocks against table top while using chop sticks to stir the batter in between to push out the bubbles. Also, using chopstick, smoothen top surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes. At 20 minutes interval or when top is cracking, cover top shelf of oven with another baking tray.