Yield: 6 servings
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 300g whipped cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 250mls strong coffee, using 2 tablespoon of espresso granules with 250ml hot water mixed then cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoons rum (omit if making virgin)
- 1 packet (1.5oz) ladyfinger cookies
- Dutch cocoa powder for topping
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and then cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute. (No need to boil until bubble lest yolk begin to cook unevenly). Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Chill mixing bowl and whipping cream in freezer for 30 minutes. Beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and drizzle with coffee mixture.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until set.
- Before serving, sprinkle cocoa powder over top using a small sieve.