- 12 large fresh prawns, shelled except for tail and deveined, lightly marinated with light soy sauce and pepper
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g cold salted butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil
- Place flour and butter in bowl. Using fork or tip of fingers, press and rub butter into flour until all broken into tiny pieces and mixed into flour. Kind of like crumble mixture.
- Hand whisk in water, sugar and salt till well-combined. It should be in a thick consistency. Leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in medium heat till very hot. (Takes 5-10 minutes over stove) add small drop of batter into oil, if it starts bubbling, it is ready.
- Dip prawns in batter then into oil. Deep fry till golden color.
- Place on tempura paper to absorb excess oil. Serve.