Serves: 3 adults
- 50g japonica rice
- 50g jasmine rice
- 20g glutinous rice
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 12g dried scallops
- 6g rock sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
(Optional ingredients and garnishes)
- Chopped scallions
- Thinly sliced ginger
- Seafood such as fresh scallops and prawns (good to add ginger juice & prawn shell for added sweetness)
- Sliced fish (good to add ginger juice)
- Shredded pork or chicken (marinated)
- Eggs! Fresh eggs, salted eggs century eggs!
- Crunchy peanuts and crispy silver fish
- Etc etc etc…!
- Rinse dried scallops and soak in hot water for 1.5 hours
- Conbine all 3 types of rice, rinse, then mix oil and 1/4 tsp of salt in. Mix well and let sit for at least 1 hour
- Place water (amount depends on preferred consistency of congee) in pot with 2 porcelain soup spoons or saucer. Bring to boil.
- Add rice, dried scallops and bring to boil over high heat. Then reduce to medium heat and cook for an hour.
- Stir only when porridge has thickened to ensure no sticking to bottom of pot.
- Add seasoning and optional ingredients before switching off heat. Serve with optional ingredients or garnishes.